Roblox OSS Community Code of Conduct
- We are committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, regardless of level of experience, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, personal appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, age, religion, nationality, or other similar characteristic.
- Please avoid using overtly sexual aliases or other nicknames that might
detract from a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all.
- Please be kind and courteous. There’s no need to be mean or rude.
- Respect that people have differences of opinion and that every design or
implementation choice carries a trade-off and numerous costs. There is seldom
a right answer.
- Please keep unstructured critique to a minimum. If you have solid ideas you
want to experiment with, make a fork and see how it works.
- We will exclude you from interaction if you insult, demean or harass anyone.
That is not welcome behavior. We interpret the term “harassment” as including
the definition in the Citizen Code of Conduct; if you have any lack
of clarity about what might be included in that concept, please read their
definition. In particular, we don’t tolerate behavior that excludes people in
socially marginalized groups.
- Private harassment is also unacceptable. No matter who you are, if you feel
you have been or are being harassed or made uncomfortable by a community
member, please contact any of the Roblox OSS Community moderation team
immediately. Whether you’re a regular contributor or a newcomer, we care about
making this community a safe place for you and we’ve got your back.
- Likewise any spamming, trolling, flaming, baiting or other attention-stealing
behavior is not welcome.
These are the policies for upholding our community’s standards of conduct. If
you feel that a conversation or thread needs moderation, please contact the
Roblox OSS Community moderation team.
- Remarks that violate the Roblox OSS Community standards of conduct, including
hateful, hurtful, oppressive, or exclusionary remarks, are not allowed.
(Cursing is allowed, but never targeting another user, and never in a hateful
- Remarks that moderators find inappropriate, whether listed in the code of
conduct or not, are also not allowed.
- Moderators will first respond to such remarks with a warning.
- If the warning is unheeded, the user will be muted or removed from the
communication channel to cool off.
- If the user comes back and continues to make trouble, they will be banned,
i.e., indefinitely excluded.
- Moderators may choose at their discretion to un-ban the user if it was a
first offense and they offer the offended party a genuine apology.
- If a moderator bans someone and you think it was unjustified, please take it
up with that moderator, or with a different moderator, in private.
Complaints about bans in-channel are not allowed.
- Moderators are held to a higher standard than other community members. If a
moderator creates an inappropriate situation, they should expect less leeway
In the Roblox OSS Community we strive to go the extra step to look out for each
other. Don’t just aim to be technically unimpeachable, try to be your best self.
In particular, avoid flirting with offensive or sensitive issues, particularly
if they’re off-topic; this all too often leads to unnecessary fights, hurt
feelings, and damaged trust; worse, it can drive people away from the community
And if someone takes issue with something you said or did, resist the urge to be
defensive. Just stop doing what it was they complained about and apologize. Even
if you feel you were misinterpreted or unfairly accused, chances are good there
was something you could’ve communicated better — remember that it’s your
responsibility to make your fellow community members comfortable. Everyone wants
to get along and we are all here first and foremost because we want to talk
about cool technology. You will find that people will be eager to assume good
intent and forgive as long as you earn their trust.
The enforcement policies listed above apply to all official Roblox OSS Community
venues; including Discord channels. For other projects adopting the Roblox OSS
Community Code of Conduct, please contact the maintainers of those projects for
enforcement. If you wish to use this code of conduct for your own project,
consider explicitly mentioning your moderation policy or making a copy with your
own moderation policy so as to avoid confusion.
The Roblox OSS Community Code of Conduct is adapted from the Rust Code of Conduct.
Influences for this code of conduct include the Citizen Code of Conduct, the Contributor Covenant, and the Node.js Policy on Trolling.
See source code here.